Sunday, September 7, 2014

An Endless Friday - by Yoni Varvak, 10 years old, Young Blogger Contest September 2014

Like us on Facebook 

Book your vacation through Family Travel Concierge - info@familytc.com

In the afternoon on the day of our trip, my sister Ilana and I returned home from school. This was at 4:30 pm. We returned home, cleaned up the crumbs of some stale chips left over from the farewell party that we had with our neighbor Ilan on occasion of our anticipated trip to the USA over the next four weeks.  My mom told me that tomorrow we will have a really long Friday, and that I needed to take a shower, and catch some sleep for a few hours. But with all the excitement, I only managed to nap for a bit,and after half an hour, woke up.

I watched a World Cup soccer game before leaving for the airport. At 9:30pm we took leave of grandma and granddad, while getting them to promise me to water my new cactus once a week. This cactus was a gift from Helen, my tutor, given to me during our final meeting, after which we were not going to meet again. She told me to water it exactly once each week, and then it will develop all sorts of unusual colors, so it was important to keep it alive. But, truth be told, my grandparents were going to stop by our place every day anyhow, because they also had to take care our cat, Sophie, which needs daily feedings.

We reached the airport in about 40 minutes. There were long lines everywhere, and in one place, separate lines for Israelis and foreigners. I did not know which line to go to, because we have both Israeli and American passports.We flew with a company called Brussels Airlines on a flight to Belgium leaving at 1:20am, for a flight that lasted five hours. My parents called it a“red-eye”, and it was clear why – at the end of this flight, everyone’s eyes were red! It was really hard to fall asleep in that plane. It arrived at 5:20am and not at 6:20am that you would expect after a 5 hour flight,because the time in Belgium is one hour behind Israel.

Once, we arrived,we were sent to brush our teeth. Leaving the bathroom, I saw a screen with 5 different faces, asking about the bathroom experience.   Once, we arrived,we were sent to brush our teeth. Leaving the bathroom, I saw a screen with 5 different faces, asking about the bathroom experience.  One face was sad, one was so-so, one neutral, one was slightly happy, and finally very happy face. Above them, a sign in English read: “How did you like the restroom”. I pressed the so-so face, and Ilana chose the happy one. Then we went to have a breakfast in a huge waiting hall, and then we just played, and were bored while waiting for the plane that would take us to New York at 11:00am.

When the time came, we went downstairs, where a small bus was going to take us to a separate terminal. Because of my dad, we missed one bus, and now the time was tight, and everyone became nervous. But, we were told that the bus runs every 5 or 10 minutes, and not to worry because we would make it to our next plane. We got to our next plane, which was bigger, and it was going to get us to NewYork in about 7 hours. But when we got to New York, it was still around noon only, because New York is 6 hours behind Belgium. So, we arrived at about the same time that we took off!

In New York, we got our suitcases,and met with my other grandmother, Nellie, on my father’s side. All of us took a monorail to a parking lot, where we found a car which my father rented for our vacation in the States. We drove to my grandmother’s home, to eat a little bit, said goodbye to grandmother, and then drove west for 5 hours before finally reaching a hotel in Pennsylvania at 8pm, on our way to my aunt and uncle who live in Cleveland, Ohio. This was one endless Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment